Sunday, October 24, 2004

Flannelette will pill if not watched carefully.

I was taking the train just a little while ago, heading from downtown to the Art College, and ended up sitting in front of a giant poster of a semi-naked man. It's part of a huge marketing campaign for the shopping centres in "The Core" of downtown Calgary. Each poster features a naked man/woman holding a photograph of themselves wearing an outfit from the shops downtown, the photograph stragetically placed to hide the right areas. As I was sitting down, with nothing really to look at but this image of a naked man, I noticed that around his ankles were sock-marks. You know, when you pull your socks up and the elastic leaves a little impression on your skin. I wasn't sure if I was seeing things correctly, if maybe it was a scar or a physical blip on the poster, but no--it was on the other leg too. I'm not sure why I was so amused at this. Maybe because no one noticed during the shoot, and even still no one noticed during the editting process of the images. Mostly I think it is because those little sock impressions about mid-calf on his leg meant that he's a real person. He had to take off his clothes before doing the shoot, his socks probably the last thing to come off and the first thing to go on. All of a sudden this image of a really buff and cut young man on a poster wasn't just some anonymous piece of meat because those socks allowed a peak into a life that would have been otherwise irrelevant to the poster itself.

Yea, and that was earlier this morning.

Right now I am sitting in a deserted computer lab at school. Occasionally someone will walk by behind me but not often. The batteries are dead in my discman so I have to work in silence, something I've always hated doing. I didn't have enough time to get a coffee this morning before leaving (I was late to meet someone) so I'm stuck with a bottle of iced tea.

I have to write an essay for a midterm I have tomorrow afternoon, 600-700 words on the historography of textiles. I'm trying not to get stressed over it because it's not really worth my time. I have too many other things to do. Tonight, Ryan and I are going to my parents' place to eat their food (like good little broke-ass artists) and he's going to quiz me on the characteristics of cotton, linen, silk and wool. It should be interesting.

On one last note, Carly and I saw The Motorcycle Diaries last night at the Uptown. It was fantastic. Gael GarcĂ­a Bernal is an exceedingly handsome man, holy crap. The movie was also very good. Heh.

6 Comments:

At October 24, 2004 at 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go to a school named the Art College?

Also, they probably just didnt care about the sockmarks.

 
At October 25, 2004 at 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suzen,
I already have a Bachelor's but I'm not happy; it's time to change that. I want to start art school. Not that I need it, but being excited it always fun, so encourage me?:)

 
At October 25, 2004 at 12:16 PM, Blogger suzen said...

Well, the school I go to is actually called Alberta College of Art and Design. I usually just call it "The Art College" though or "ACA" (Alberta College of Art). It makes me sound more pretentious if I use slang :P

And to the other anonymous commentor (leave your name so I know who you are!), art school is AMAZING. It's tough and a little frustrating but completely worth it if being an artist is your calling.

 
At November 3, 2004 at 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we're not friends, that's cool. just telling you that i think you'd love reading "running up a dress" by suzanne spunner. it's an australian play. you'd dig it.

rach.

 
At January 1, 2005 at 7:16 PM, Blogger Henrik said...

Sockmarks. I don't even know if I have them. I thought that was something you get when you get older, but as I understand the model on the poster was not that old. You know, when you're dehydrated your skin is less flexible so it takes longer for it to come back to its original form. Pulling the patients skin is actually a kind of a test to see if he or she is dehydrated. So maybe your posterboy didn't have enough to drink that day.
Or maybe his socks were too tight.

 
At June 20, 2005 at 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of your interests is punching people? That's not very nice!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home